In 2005, Thermal Engineering International (TEi) Inc., Santa Fe Springs, CA, a subsidiary of Babcock Power Inc., acquired the Intellectual Property Assets of Struthers Industries and Struthers Wells. TEi organized a new Business Unit, Struthers Wells, a Division of TEi, located in Houston, TX, which offers the full range of products for which Struthers Industries and Struthers Wells have gained such a well-deserved worldwide reputation for performance and reliability.
Struthers Wells has a long history in the successful design and fabrication of heat recovery equipment for the extraction of heat from high temperature process or flue gas streams. We have proudly supplied heat recovery equipment to many of the world’s leading Chemical, Petrochemical, Petroleum and Power producers by taking advantage of the hot gases generated by process reactions during the production of many chemicals and processes such as:
- Sulfur recovery
- Fluid catalytic cracking
- Flue gas cooling
- Reactor effluent cooling
- Sulfuric acid
- Nitric acid
Our heat transfer products include:
- Process Gas Waste Heat Boilers
- High Pressure Heat Exchangers
- Process Fired Heaters
- Thermal Solar Heat Transfer Solutions
We engineer and manufacture all the components of a complete heat transfer system:
- Fuel heating, pumping, and metering systems
- Thermal fluid pumping and piping systems
- Thermal fluid heat users (heat exchangers, reboilers, jacketed vessels)
- Electrically heated systems for emergency back-up or start-up
- Combustion air preheaters
- Add-on convective sections and economizers
- Waste heat recovery boilers
- Storage tanks, expansion tanks, separator vessels
- Air-cooled and water-cooled exchangers for combination heating/cooling systems
- Control panels, from standard pre-engineered designs to state-of-the-art DCS panels
Struthers Wells’ predecessor began in 1851 as a manufacturer of pressure vessels, boilers, and steam-powered machinery. Since building its first refinery heater in 1927, it continued to set the standard for high-temperature heating systems. No company can match this breadth and depth of experience and technology in all aspects of fired heater technology. Here are just a few firsts:
- Developed the forced-circulation thermal fluid vaporizer that has now become the clear first choice in organic fluid vaporization technology.
- Manufactured the first furnace used for thermal cracking (pyrolysis) of ethylene dichloride (EDC) to produce vinyl chloride monomer (VCM) in 1960, replacing the older and more troublesome catalytic process. This initial success was followed by the supply of over 100 EDC cracking furnaces worldwide.
- Designed and built the first oil-field heater generating 80% quality steam at up to 2,500 psig using high TDS feedwater. This pioneering once-through boiler design quickly became the industry standard for secondary thermal Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR). Struthers Wells and its predecessor followed this success with over 1,200 installations and 60 billion Btu/h (17,600 MWs) installed capacity worldwide.
- Developed a convective-only titanium tetrachloride (TiCl4) preheater/boiler/superheater to achieve the lowest practical film temperatures with low overall pressure drop. The tightly controlled film temperatures permitted the use of metal tubes instead of unwieldy quartz tubes.